There are numerous natural gas fireplaces from different brands in the market which leave you with the tough decision of choosing the most appropriate one. There are a few basic attributes necessary for the efficient working of the fireplace that must be present in the product that you buy.
- Wall thermostat The main function of this accessory is the control of flames according to the room temperature. Moreover, it works just like an air conditioner where the temperature setting can be changed with the help of a remote.
- Back up of battery Most good brands provide natural gas fireplaces with a battery backup so that even if the light goes away, your house stays warm and protects you from the winter chill.
- Inbuilt fan Your natural gas fireplace must have a fan inside its structure for quick heating since it sucks in the cold air of the room and radiates warm, comfortable air.
- Flame adjustment factor It is essential for the fireplace to have an option that allows you to control the height of flames varying from full sized ones to as low as thirty percent of the maximum capacity.
- LED lights These lights are optional accessories that only add to the illumination made by the flames. Although they do not impact the efficiency of the natural gas fireplace, they do look naturally beautiful.
Vented natural gas fireplaces consist of two pipes wherein the first one brings in the natural air to be used by the fireplace while the other one transports all the toxic fumes from the fireplace outside the house. Prefer installing these types of fireplaces since they are more environmentally friendly for the house. Those with single pipes come with the risk of catching fire as there are higher chances of the flames reversing back into the vent. Natural gas fireplaces without vents have no such pipe system and therefore, are highly mobile. 99 percent of the heat that they emit is distributed in the room making them more efficient. Although they are equipped with extra filtering capabilities, the pollutants do manage to enter the room along with the heat. You could also opt for a wood fireplace.
Modern natural gas fireplaces come with substitutes for log placements such as stones, fiberglass, and coal. Colorful stones made of ceramic placed inside the appliance lend a rustic, natural look to the living room. Burning coal gives a feel of the 1800s, while fiberglass is made for modernly designed houses. These days, a new concept of placing natural gas fireplaces in the bathroom has surfaced to make bathing an experience no less than a spa. Moreover, these are placed on the adjacent wall so that the heat can be felt in the bedroom as well.